Consider this statement from Oswald Chambers:
"If you become a necessity to a soul, you are out of God's order."
Think of the last friend you counselled or the last time you counselled your children; was your time spent giving advice and/or YOUR thoughts on the situation? Or was your time spent on the Word and on how that situation would be affected by the Gospel?
I have to confess that I am not always running to the Word and pointing towards the Gospel. Now, I have to admit that when talking to my children, I am more apt to talk about the Gospel, but, some of you might be the opposite. You might be more likely to talk about the Gospel to a friend, but not to your children.
A little later on in the paragraph Chambers puts this statement out there. "That one was a thief, he stole my affections from Jesus, and I lost my vision of Him." Is this something someone might say of you after they die and face their maker?
If we are not consistently pointing people to Christ then we are "stealing their affections for Him". What a thought!
Everyone needs to hear the gospel and to hear it everyday. So don't shy away from it. I am guilty of it and my prayer is for God to show me the opportunities that I have to point people to Christ and not just to give out advice (however helpful it may be).
No comments:
Post a Comment